- Notes from 2017 – Infrastructure
- Notes from 2017 – The Day of the Dove
- Notes from 2017 – The dreams of our ancestors
- Notes from 2017 – #TheResistance, one week in
- Notes from 2017 – What is your innermost truth?
- Notes from 2017 – Our Democracy
- Notes from 2017: Who doesn’t love a hero?
- Notes from 2017 – An American hero
- Notes from 2017: A Winter Feast for the Soul
- Notes from 2017: Six ways to be miserable (and one way to be happy).
- Notes from 2017 – Predictions and Prophecies
- Notes from 2017 – Remember moral courage?
Tags2012 2013 2014 Animals art authors blog blogging book reviews books Buddhism contests Culture current events Dogs ebooks economics editors and agents Events Fairytales fantasy fiction fictional characters folklore ghosts history holidays humor Iceland imagination James Hillman Meditation movies Music Myth Nature News Notes from 2017 Novels photography plots poetry politics postaweek2011 postaweek2014 Psychology publishing religion Science science fiction screenwriting short stories spirituality stories technology Tibet travel westerns WPlongform writing
Top Posts & Pages
- Marina, a poem by T.S. Eliot
- Jung's Tower: simplicity and the inner life
- Two Poems by Rumi
- More notes from the Wasteland
- Notes on Imagination and James Hillman
- Notes from 2017 - Predictions and Prophecies
- First Family by David Baldacci: A Book Review
- Throughlines in Novels and Screenplays
- Seven Year Cycles
- On Shapechangers: Proteus in John Barth's, The Menelaiad
Tag Archives: contests
There’s still time to get tickets for the September 20 Ig Nobel Prize award ceremony at Harvard, where ten researchers will receive recognition for unusual discoveries. The prizes are the brainchild of Marc Abrahams, editor and co-founder of “The Annals … Continue reading
If you happen to have a 4000 word short story in your drawer all ready to go, you’re in luck. I haven’t been paying too much attention to writing contests this summer, so the deadline for the 2012 Writer’s Digest … Continue reading
A friend on a writer’s mailing list sent this notice of the ALMA short story contest. First prize is $1000 and inclusion in the ALMA Short Story Compilation for 2013. Word limit is 3000. Due date is Nov. 12, 2012. … Continue reading
I haven’t been posting writing contests recently, but a local author sent this one out, and I know several readers who may be interested. Sponsored by The Historical Novel Society International, this contest has an $8000 prize plus ebook publication … Continue reading
That’s right, a winner in the: Caption the Condom Cartoon Contest (announced here last week http://wp.me/pYql4-1MT). There were at least a few positive outcomes after Rush Limbaugh’s slur of law student, Sandra Fluke, which inspired the contest. 1) One positive result: I … Continue reading
My recent resolution to stay more positive on this blog is challenged almost every time I pick up a newspaper or turn on the evening news. Believing that laughter is better than tears, and in keeping with this week’s headlines, … Continue reading
I just received this announcement for the 81st annual Writer’s Digest writing competition, seeking entries in ten categories: Inspirational Writing (Spiritual/Religious) Memoirs/Personal Essay Magazine Feature Article Genre Short Story (Mystery, Romance, etc.) Mainstream/Literary Short Story Rhyming Poetry Non-rhyming Poetry Stage … Continue reading